Taking care of our teeth may be one of the most underrated ways we maintain our overall health. One serious condition is that of tooth abscess.
An abscessed tooth happens when there’s an infection that has reached the tooth’s root.
For other tooth related concern visit Dental Implants Clinic in Brisbane.
Symptoms and Causes
- Signs typically include one or more of the following:
- Pain which can quickly become worse
- Foul-smelling odor when you chew with that tooth
- Swelling of the face and/or gums
- High fever and feeling generally unwell
Generally, poor oral hygiene increases the risk of infection. High sugar diet helps bacteria grow and can lead to cavities and other problems.
Below are also contributing factors:
- Blow to a tooth
- Dental treatment such as a crown or a filling that gets too close to a pulp chamber
- Trauma to a tooth from grinding or clenching
A tooth abscess facial swelling won’t go away on its own. See your dentist check if it’s drainable. X-rays of the teeth may be necessary to show any pus that’s located at the deepest part of the root.
Home treatment. People with cavities or toothaches can take anti-inflammatory or pain medications. If an abscess ruptures by itself, warm water rinse can cleanse the mouth and encourage drainage.
Medical treatment. The doctor may decide to cut open the abscess and allow the pus to drain. It can also be drained through the infected tooth at the start of a root canal procedure. They are then prescribed pain relievers or antibiotics to fight infection. An abscess that has extended to the floor of the mouth or to the neck may need to be drained in the operating room under anesthesia.
Let us develop a good dental health routine to prevent avoidable trips to the dentist and give our teeth the proper care they deserve.
- Daily brushing and flossing, accompanied by regular dental checkups can help prevent tooth decay and dental abscesses.
- If tooth decay is discovered early and treated immediately, cavities that could develop into abscesses can be corrected.
- Avoidance of cigarette smoking and excess alcohol consumption can help too.